Award-winning author Wallace Edwards is back — and this time he’s up to some monkey business! His weird and wonderful imagination offers up a brilliant collection of illustrated idioms.
From “let the cat out of the bag” to “snug as a bug in a rug,” these familiar sayings are re-imagined in hilarious and unexpected ways. To help readers stay “on the ball,” the idioms are used in a sentence that accompanies each illustration —and the meaning of each idiom is explained at the end of the book.
But the fun doesn’t stop there. Readers will go ape when they discover the hidden monkey in each lavishly illustrated page.
Written and illustrated by Wallace Edwards
Publisher: Kids Can Press, 2004
Awards & Honours
- Winner, Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz Children’s Book Award;
- Winner, Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Illustrator’s Award for best children’s picture book in Canada;
- Winner, Great Book Award 2005 from the Canadian Toy Testing Council;
- Silver Medal, ForeWord Magazine’s 2004 Book-of-the-Year-Award (United States), picture book category;
- Winner, 2005 Children’s Choices Award (Beginning and Young Readers) from the International Reading Association. (The award selection process involves a jury of 10,000 children from four different U.S. regions.)
- Winner, 2009 Grand Canyon Reader Award, non-fiction category, Arizona Library Association _ AzLA (nominated and selected by children of the state of Arizona).