From the weird and wonderful imagination of an amazing artist comes an alphabet book like no other. Kids will delight in discovering animals from A to Z living together in an old Victorian mansion. They’ll meet an elephant in the ballroom playing with a model train, an octopus hanging from the foyer chandelier — and even a zebra enjoying a soak in the bathtub!
Using watercolours and colored pencils, Wallace Edwards has created a bizarre and luxurious world, rich in texture and detail. An engaging mix of art and alphabet book, Alphabeasts provides the basis for hours of animated discussion and quiet contemplation.
Written and illustrated by Wallace Edwards
Publisher: Kids Can Press, 2002
Awards & Honours:
- Winner, Governor General’s Literary Award for children’s book illustration, 2002;
- Gold Medal, ForeWord Magazine’s 2002 Book-of-the-Year-Award (United States), picture book category;
- Winner, 2003 Children’s Choices Award (Beginning and Young Readers) from the International Reading Association;
- Finalist, 2003 Independent Publisher Book Awards (Children’s Picture Book Category);
- Finalist, Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz Children’s Book Award (Picture Book Category);
- Shortlisted, Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Award;
- Selected by the International Youth Library in Munich for inclusion in its White Ravens 2003 Catalogue Collection (which contains only 250 titles in 36 languages from 47 countries);
- Profiled in 1,550 U.S. newspapers as part of the Associated Press “Back to School Round-up.”